[c-nsp] Cisco ASR1002-X Licensing Question

Troy Boutso sensible115 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 23:24:05 EST 2016

Hey there

I've been racking my brain over something that is probably so simple. It's
in regards to Cisco Licensing, specifically with the ASR1K platform -
ASR1001x / ASR1002x and this so-called Right to Use / Honor based licence.

I really want some clarification here because I've read the below paragraph
100 times (out loud) and it reads one way, but seems to go against
everything I thought I knew about Cisco and their licensing practices.

Here's the link I'm using -
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-1000-series-aggregation-services-routers/guide-c07-731639.html#_Toc426706552
(about 1/3rd down the page)

Here's the parts I'm reading:

"With the Cisco ASR 1001, ASR 1001-X, and ASR 1002-X, the concept of a
universal software image in combination with a technology package license
to enforce a certain feature set by software activation, that is, with a
PAK, has been introduced. However, for ASR 1001, as of Cisco IOS XE
Software Release 3.6S, technology package licenses, and as of 3.7S, a
performance upgrade license to upgrade from 2.5 to 5 Gbps, are both
honor-based. For ASR1001-X and ASR 1002-X, both technology package licenses
and performance upgrade licenses are honor-based."

then there is this further down

"The technology package licenses as well as the performance upgrade license
to upgrade from 2.5 to 5 Gbps on the Cisco ASR 1001 are enforced through a
PAK prior to Cisco IOS XE Software Release 3.6S. All the other feature
licenses that are required on the rest of the Cisco ASR 1000 Series are
also required on the Cisco ASR 1001, but those licenses are all
honor-based; that is, there is no enforcement. For ASR 1001-X and ASR
1002-X, all licenses, including technology package licenses, performance
upgrade licenses from 2.5 to 5, 10, or 20 Gbps (on ASR 1001-X) and 5 to 10,
20, or 36 Gbps (on ASR 1002-X), are honor-based."

So my question is, theoretically. If I can buy a Cisco 1002-X with AES
Licence level pre-loaded for $15K, could I use the honour based licence or
Right To Use licence to unlock the throughput level from the default 5Gbps
to 36 Gbps? At no extra cost?

I understand I accept the EULA which then gives me a trial, which then
should ultimately fall back to RTU but still provide the exact same
functionality....

I understand I couldn't lodge cases to the TAC etc or get any support for
anything operating within the confines of the RTU licensing but I am more
intersted in this for LAB/Personal use to stress test equipment out of
production.

I really do apologise if this seems like a stupid question, but it's just
something I want to clarify before I go do something crazy.