[c-nsp] C3560X Layer 3 throughput

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Feb 16 07:09:25 EST 2016

On 16/02/16 11:53, David Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What is the real world expected throughput on the C3560X devices when
> doing basic Layer 3 routing?

I'd expect it to be able to do line-rate with almost no CPU - it should
be forwarding in hardware.

> We have a customer who has a couple of these and are doing around
> 50-60Mpbs, around 10Kpps and is hitting around 50% CPU and we are
> wondering if this is normal for these switches as it seems a little high
> to us.

That seems wrong. Most likely it's forwarding in software instead of
hardware, due to incorrect configuration or bugs.

Check you have the IP rather than LAN image running, that you've got an
appropriate SDM template for routing, that you haven't got any
unsupported features enabled, and that you aren't otherwise inducing it
to punt to CPU e.g. by getting a lot of IP redirects/ICMP unreach or
other such activity.