[c-nsp] C6509 Fabric Switch Capacity

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jan 13 09:40:19 EST 2016

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> Alireza Soltanian wrote:
>> My questions are is What will happen if we exceed capacity(Egress or
>> Ingress) in Channel#0 of Slot#2? Will device use Capacity of Channel#1?
>
> no - the traffic will be dropped.
>
> slot 2 looks like a 6708 card.  There's been a reasonable amount of
> discussion in the past on cisco-nsp about oversubscription on this and
> other 10G line cards on the c6500/c7600 platform.  Overall, the platform
> isn't good at handling 10G.

That's a little harsh.  It handles 10G fine...you just have to carefully
plan your port layout if you use the [oversubscribed] 8-port cards and
have some links that you expect/want to carry line-rate traffic.
cisco.com has documentation online that will tell you which ports share
capacity (and should not both be used by high traffic links).