[c-nsp] ASR920 "console" port....ugh

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Jan 16 06:43:33 EST 2016

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 09:07:00AM +0000, CiscoNSP List wrote:
> Cheers for the replies guys - I'm really interested in the rational behind moving to USB from traditional RJ45 ports....realestate?....boggles the mind.

Well, if done properly, it's actually easier to the admins than having
to carry around a usb-to-serial adapter all the time (since almost all
current machines do not have a built-in serial port anymore).

"properly" implies something else, though, like:

 - the "real" USB console has a mini-b or micro-B plug, so a bog-standard
   USB cable otherwise used to charge your mobile will do the job (as for
   driver installation, well, if you can find a USB-to-serial chip that
   windows supports by default, even better - but otherwise, unavoidable
   misery.  On Linux, it just works with the common chipsets)

 - for those with classic serial ports, or modem needs, there is a standard
   serial console with *standard* layout (read: Cisco RJ45)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de