[c-nsp] Cisco ASR920-24SZ-IM BVI Feature Limitations

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Sat Jan 16 06:57:34 EST 2016

> So I'm looking to know whether or not I can expect to lose ACL, netflow, QoS
> on a 920 BVI the same as I would as a BVI on the Trident based LC's...

Not to be pedantic, but it's actually a BDI on the ASR920 - likely not germane to the discussion at hand, but important if you're wondering why the configuration is different.

> So I'm looking to know whether or not I can expect to lose ACL,
> netflow, QoS on a 920 BVI the same as I would as a BVI on the Trident
> based LC's...

L3 ACLs work on BDIs, as does uRPF. There is no support for Netflow on ASR920, AFAIK, but I believe it is on the roadmap (Waris or someone on the Carrier Ethernet unit can probably confirm). You cannot apply service policies to a BDI - they need to be applied to the EFP on the port. It appears that MPLS TE over BDI has also recently been supported on 3.17.

We've been pretty happy with the ASR, especially the models with 4x10G on-board. The cost is significantly less than an ME3600, even with a full suite of licenses (Advanced IP Metro, all 10G ports, all GE ports), and the footprint is much smaller (well, more shallow).

-evt