[c-nsp] ASR920 "console" port....ugh

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sun Jan 17 06:10:45 EST 2016

On 17 January 2016 at 04:04, Erik Sundberg <ESundberg at nitelusa.com> wrote:

> Nah... The next model will be console via bluetooth.

I would hope people include in their RFPs true OOB as requirement. I
think only one in networking market doing that is Cisco in their
products with CMP. So Nexus7k RP1, SUP2T, RSP880?

Ethernet or RS232 on control-plane really isn't an OOB port at all, as
it fate-shares the same hardware and software, IOS dead, RS232 dead.
Of course on RS232 you at least can send break signal, to start
executing rommon and boot the box from there. But my understanding is
that virtually no one uses this feature for some reason, and indeed it
does not work in IOS-XR 9k today at all.
It seems people are content with Nike and Corolla OOB.

--
  ++ytti