[c-nsp] NCS5K?

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 18:01:41 EST 2016

My guess is you will see something from Cisco similar to the PTX1K in the
NCS 55XX series but it will be more expensive than the 500X series.  These
boxes I believe use the Broadcom Tomahawk chipset and the NCS55XX uses the
Jericho.  The Jericho can support an external TCAM with more routes but
with some speed limitations since the bus to the off-chip TCAM memory is
slower.   Those boxes will also have more packet buffering than what you'll
find on the 500X.

Either way the cost of 100G is rapidly dropping, crazy to think what we
paid for just a CFP transceiver a few years ago.