[c-nsp] SUP720's memory, looking at options..

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Tue Jul 5 17:26:39 EDT 2016

Don't get me started on Cisco versioning. It drives me nuts.

The documentation on the ASR1K seems to be better than the ASR9K.
A lot of the 9K documentation is posting on the support forum by ASR9K team members.
As for mac accounting on the ASR1K, I haven't had any use for it myself so I can't say.
I think it is 512 mac addresses per interface, not sure how sub interfaces are counted.
But I think that code is shared across multiple cisco platforms.
For an IX, you might be better off with something like a white box switch running custom code.

Here is a cisco reference on the accounting:
http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=764234&seqNum=3

Mack McBride | Senior Network Architect | ViaWest, Inc.