[c-nsp] 2960X SDM Template

Antonio Soares amsoares at netcabo.pt
Fri Jul 8 15:43:53 EDT 2016

Team,

I just realized that with only a few SVIs and one static route I got the
message bellow when using the SDM Template "lanbase-routing":

%PLATFORM_UCAST-4-PREFIX:  One or more, more specific prefixes could not be
programmed into TCAM and are being covered by a less specific prefix, and
the packets may be software forwarded

Looking at the SDM Table comparison on the link bellow, it seems I am
hitting the maximum value for the "number of indirect IPv4 routes":

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-
2_2_e/system_manage/configuration_guide/b_sm_1522e_2960x_cg/b_sm_152ex_2960-
x_cg_chapter_0100.html

So it seems the more appropriate SDM Template for my setup is the Template
"lanbase-default" instead of the "lanbase-routing". What I don't understand
is why the "lanbase-routing" has much less resources for routing purposes
than the "lanbase-default" template. They call it routing, right ?  But the
context sensitive help shows this:

2960x-lab(config)#sdm prefer ?

  default          Default bias

  lanbase-default  Enhanced support for both IPv4 and IPv6 Routing

  lanbase-routing  Supports both IPv4 and IPv6 Static Routing

2960x-lab(config)#

The "lanbase-default" is enhanced for routing ??? And the "lanbase-routing"
is not ???

What am I missing here ?

I tested the "lanbase-default" template and it works fine. No TCAM error
messages and routing works normally (between SVIs and using the static
route). I'm using 15.2(2)E3.

Thanks.

Regards,

Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (RS/SP/DC)