[c-nsp] ASR 9000 Upgrade Expectations

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 06:19:43 EDT 2016

On 14 July 2016 at 11:10, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:
> James Bensley wrote:
>> Or if you are erasing and installing from fresh on the new version,
>> then the box is down for pretty much the whole 2 hours.
>
> turboboot is not necessarily a bad idea if you're doing jumps from one
> major version to the next or even 4.3 to 6.0.  The turboboot process
> will add 30-40 minutes to the overall time schedule, but at least you
> end up with a clean slate afterwards.

Yes this is what we have been doing, we do a fresh install. I don't
want upgrades on upgrdes on SMUs on service packs etc.

> Regardless of what way you go about it, you need to make sure that the
> tftp server is local.  Otherwise the crappy tftp implementation in the
> bootrom will take ages due to ping-pong and there's no option for doing
> this over tcp.

This!

TFTP service with current and new IOS-XR images and turboboot files on
your laptop (if you on site in the DC) or a local TFTP server in the
OOB network in the DC (if working remotely). Absolute must, the 2 hour
downtime we incurr during an upgrade is about 45+ minutes of the
turboboot image copying and booting.

Cheers,
James.