[c-nsp] Router 6504E - SUP 720 3B XL

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Jul 15 14:30:13 EDT 2016

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 04:49:42PM +0300, zzif wrote:
> 15.7.2016, 15:18, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> > this won't work.  The RP doesn't have enough RAM to reliably handle a
> > full DFZ.
>
> Sure it will work. The 720-3BXL *can* handle full routes from three
> different providers. Its TCAM can be configured to handle eg. 768k IPv4
> routes and RAM is not a problem.
>
> The 6500 platform is a bit outdated nowadays, but still a rock solid
> choice for many environments.

I can only add a famous quote here "I recommend doing this to all my
competitors".

I've been a long-time fan of 6500/Sup720, so I know what the platform
can and can not do.   We've been filtering the global BGP table for
/23+/24 from "out of our region /8s" for quite a while (saving ~100.000
prefixes), and *still* we've now decided to replace each one of them
with an ASR9001 (or maybe a MX240) - the CPU is too slow for todays
Internet core.  It's painful, it's not worth the money saved if a single
eBGP flap causes instability in your network for 30 minutes, and
(if people only bothered to read list archives...) with 15.1SY code,
the full BGP table will no longer fit into RAM anymore.

Plus, the 3*B* is stupid in many more ways than the 3C, which is also
not really up to the job anymore either.

But hey, everyone who gives their customers a bad service is good for
other players on the market.  So, do not let people that know what
they talk about stop you from doing this.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de