[c-nsp] ASR9k Bundle QoS in 6.0.1

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Jun 1 07:50:21 EDT 2016

On 1 June 2016 at 12:45, Adam Vitkovsky <Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk> wrote:
> Got a confirmation from Xander, so in summary:
> Each RP has 2 fabric chips, but both controlled by one common RSP Arbiter.
> There are two RP cards in the chassis - so two Arbiters.
> Only the Arbiter on the active RP controls all 4 fabrics.
> However both Arbiters are getting the Fabric access requests in order to
> know exactly the whole state of the system at any given time so the failover
> can be instantenious.
> There is no keepalive between the Arbiters but the RP's have a "CPLD" ASIC
> and one of its functions is to track the other RP's state via low level
> keepalives.

What about say 9922 with lot of fabrics? It seem completely odd to me
why you'd want to even design centralised arbiter, instead of per
fabric arbiter. Each linecard connects to all fabrics and balance
between fabrics. I don't see why fabric1 would care about fabric2's
situation.

What you're saying does not really make sense to me, it implies that
fabric request to fabric1 is sprayed to all fabrics in the system,
why? What did we gain? We're multiplying the request volume by the
number of fabrics we have, limiting how many fabrics we can insert.

--
  ++ytti