[c-nsp] 6500/7600 TCAM Usage

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 11:49:28 EDT 2016

On 3 June 2016 at 16:45, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
> On 3 June 2016 at 18:34, James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is it possible to e.g. have a TCAM with timestamps
>>> associated to entries, so one can employ a TCAM as
>>> a route cache in LRU fashion and process-switch everything
>>> new/unknown?
>>
>> This will penalise stable prefixes.
>
> I believe by timestamp he was referring to last lookup it. While
> you're thinking age of entry, which makes no sense.

Yeah I was thinking of the age of the entry, which is why I responded,
I really was thinking "that would be insane!!!". But equally a last
look-up time means prefixes used more frequently due to background
scatter and bots just aimless scanning looking for open telnet ports
with no other genuine traffic can be favoured over more "useful" /
"valuable" but less freqeuncy used prefixes - so either way I don't
like that idea.

Cheers,
James.