[c-nsp] 6500/7600 TCAM Usage

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Tue Jun 7 13:01:25 EDT 2016

I don't think we are going to get there.
Current growth is about 1K prefixes per week for IPv4 and has been for 2 years.
So about 25 years to hit 2 million.

IPv6 will max out somewhere around 3 or 4x ASN count.
Active ASN count is still less than 100K.
Probably also around 20 years to reach 1 million.

Not saying never but the 9K will likely be in the same
position the 6500 is by then.
I also expect table pruning and compression to be a
Bigger part of the routing piece by then.
Maybe an extension to BGP to request specific
Deaggregates or LISP or some other routing
Technology to reduce convergence time.

Mack McBride | Senior Network Architect | ViaWest, Inc.