[c-nsp] ASR920 port based xconnect equivalent

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 15:35:51 EDT 2016

>>  -isn't L2PT required only in case the providers network is actually L2 switched environment (running STP internally)?
>
> Not only.
> It would be required even in MPLS-switched backbones.
> Ethernet is Ethernet, regardless of the core transport protocol.

Forwarding of L2 protocols instead of tunneling can be easily done. The L2 protocols dst-mac is buried under a number of labels (transport and vc) and another ethernet II header, I don't see why this would be punted to the LSR's CPU in a mpls switched backbone, even if not "tunneled" (where tunneling means dst-mac rewriting).

Not sure if I got your point correctly though?