[c-nsp] ASR920 port based xconnect equivalent

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jun 7 16:00:42 EDT 2016

On 7/Jun/16 21:54, Adam Vitkovsky wrote:

> My understanding is that in MPLS it really depends on the default
> behaviour of the edge device, that is whether it tries to interpret
> incoming PDUs or it doesn't care and forwards or drops them.
> James mentioned that ASR9xx family does try to make sense of incoming
> PDUs by default (or possibly dropping).
> ASR9K family on the other hand forwards by default.

Since the ASR920 requires EFP's for even port-mode EoMPLS, I have not
really tested whether Layer 2 PDU's are automatically passed with
"encapsulation default". My initial guess would be no, because the pw is
on an EFP, but I'd need to check to be sure.

On an ME3600X/3800X, all Layer 2 PDU's are passed without question in
classic port-mode EoMPLS, i.e., "xconnect" command on the physical
interface.

L2PT has typically between required for VLAN-mode EoMPLS.

Mark.