[c-nsp] MPLS on ASR1000 - Ping mpls returns 'QQQQQ'

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Tue Jun 21 06:44:31 EDT 2016

On 06/21/2016 12:14 AM, James Bensley wrote:
> On 21 June 2016 at 00:06, Mike <mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com> wrote:
>> sh mpls l2transport vc detail
>>      Last error: MPLS dataplane reported a fault to the nexthop
>>      Output interface: none, imposed label stack {}
>>      Preferred path: not configured
>>      Default path: no route
>>      No adjacency
>
>> ping mpls ipv4 10.0.15.2 255.255.255.255
>> Sending 5, 72-byte MPLS Echos to Target FEC Stack TLV descriptor,
>>       timeout is 2 seconds, send interval is 0 msec:
>>
>> Codes: '!' - success, 'Q' - request not sent,
>> Type escape sequence to abort.
>> QQQQQ
>> Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)
>>   Total Time Elapsed 7 ms
>
> As with any issue that relates to something one is trying to
> configure, you should include the config!
>
> Looks like something is misconfigured.
>
> Cheers,
> James.

I was hoping to maintain a higher signal to noise ratio, and instead of
posting hundreds of lines of config file right off the bat, to instead
look to the error messages and the outputs of selected 'show' commands
to get at the underlaying status and perhaps gather where the actual
problem is. The configs on this router, for example, are virtually
identical to that on my (working) ASR920 (having used diff on both I
don't see anything that could account for the above). I think the clue
is in the lines you cut -

Last error: MPLS dataplane reported a fault to the nexthop
     Output interface: none, imposed label stack {}
     Preferred path: not configured
     Default path: no route
     No adjacency

So it looks like mpls isn't figuring out any paths out, but yet ospf is
working and is populating the routing table and we have ldp bindings and
so forth. If you still think hundreds of lines of config file is helpful
I'd be happy to post that, but I'd prefer a more targeted attack myself.

Mike-