[c-nsp] NCS-5001 - MPLS L3VPN Issue

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 12:08:49 EST 2016

The FPC3 on the PTX5K (shipping shortly) is 3Tbps/slot (30x100GE/slot via 15x100GE PICs).  Cisco will have a 12x100GE linecard for the ASR9912/9922 soon as well, the fabric already supports it.  The NCS6K hasn’t been given much love for various reasons.

You will see copper interconnects around for a long time but not the current midplane and traces that have dominated chassis based routers for a long time.  One option is direct fabric/LC connections like the Cisco NCS55XX, Juniper QFX10K, etc. Those platforms start at 3Tbps/slot.  There are also some more other interesting copper technologies coming down the pipeline. We’ll see devices with copper supporting 6+Tbps/slot in the future. Faceplate density and cooling are more of an issue in the near-term.

Optical will come at some point, but not in the near future, there are issues with optical backplanes that aren’t easy to solve.

Phil