[c-nsp] NCS-5001 - MPLS L3VPN Issue

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Mar 8 06:36:44 EST 2016

On 8 March 2016 at 11:02, Adam Vitkovsky <Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk> wrote:
> Well this sounds like a perfect example of a regression bug, when fix of one thing introduces another bug,
> That's why I like to cherry pick SMUs related only to what I truly need to fix.
> If the SP has a fix for e.g. BGP EVPN and I'm not using EVPN, then I'd rather omit that -because it can introduce bug in something that I actually do care about.

And here lies the fallacy, the SMU looks like it's addressing just
single DDTS, but it's not. Imagine if that was the case. Imagine there
is bgpd which has bugs DDTS1, 2 and 3. How many permutations we can
get from these three bugs? Dunno the math, but it's lot, I think 15
permutations with just 3 bugs. And of course if bgpd gets 4th bug the
amount of permutations explodes.

This is clearly not how it works, when you pick up that fix for DDTS3
you're getting new bgpd version which has fixes for DDTS2 and DDTS1
also.
--
  ++ytti