[c-nsp] traceroute from ASA with source IP from inside interface

Nick Cutting ncutting at edgetg.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 07:07:44 EDT 2016

Traceroutes from ASA / routers use UDP not ICMP

You can "inspect ICMP error" as well as allow the ICMP and UDP traceroute versions of the message you need - this is my traceroute config I use on client contexts:

Note these firewalls are non-internet facing so security is less important to me than troubleshooting.

access-list outside_access_in extended permit icmp any any unreachable
access-list outside_access_in extended permit icmp any any traceroute
access-list outside_access_in extended permit icmp any any time-exceeded

policy-map global_policy
 class inspection_default
  inspect icmp
  inspect icmp error