[c-nsp] Strange X2 Temperature Flaps

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Mar 17 12:20:05 EDT 2016

On 17 March 2016 at 17:37, Robert Williams <Robert at custodiandc.com> wrote:
> Each time it completes a loop it jumps from -127 to +127 - at _that_ moment we get a short burst of CRC errors in the ASR9k which is connected to the other end of the link. In two of the cases so far, the errors were enough to trip OAM on the ASR9k into err-disable on the port due to >3 seconds of symbol errors.

This is buggy microcontroller from gigalight where after 2**31 1/100th
of a second you start to write clock in temperature sensor
memory-area.

Fun times when you have tons of these, and in maintenance window boot
lot of devices, then after 2**31 has passed, they all go down at the
same time. Reminder that no amount of redundancy really guarantees you
anything.

For what it is worth, gigalight handled this issue extremely well for
us, even though we didn't do any business with them. But the broker
who sold them to us, 'network wide' was my worst experience ever.

--
  ++ytti