[c-nsp] necessity of nowadays

Chuck Church chuckchurch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 08:48:19 EDT 2016

UDLD works well when you've got a L2 switch with distributed processing,
such as a 6500.  We've had cases where a Sup was failing, perhaps due to
overheating in a failed air conditioned closet.  It failed to the point
BPDUs were no longer being sent, but forwarding was still working.  I guess
the SP wasn't happy, but PFC still forwarding.  Loop results.  UDLD fixed
that issue.  We did that prior to spanning tree loop guard existing.  I
think loop guard can replace UDLD in some cases.

Chuck