[c-nsp] PfR

Wes Smith fathom5 at live.com
Fri Mar 25 12:47:49 EDT 2016

There are two distinctly different PFR features.
Pfr2. Circa 2010-present used automate IPsla probes and attempted to control protect and load balance traffic by adjusting route costs.  It could also route  specific traffic classes over different paths.

Pfr3 is a much much different animal.  This is built into the border router input forwarding path.  Uses the perfmon features of the routers to track latency loss drop jitter etc.

We are rolling this out this year.
First for brownout detection. Then to  shift some traffic off mpls and onto Internet.

Pfr3 is very dmvpn oriented.   Doesn't 'need' dmvpn, but it's clear that's where the focus is.  Dmvpn allows a common overlay on mpls and Internet and pfr does the smart quality aware routing.
This is Ciscos new iwan architecture. Lots of focus.

What we have found. ....
Only one wan facing link/tunnelper router/ per vrf.  This is a real pita for me, but probably not for service providers as each client would likely be vrf'd.

Watch Jean Marc latest Berlin Cisco live pitches.  Always good.
Lots of other iwan info there as well.

Sent from my iPhone