[c-nsp] Can you upgrade WS-X6908-10G-2T to -2TXL?

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Wed May 4 09:09:57 EDT 2016

All,

We've recently received a WS-X6908-10G-2T which has been 'upgraded' to a -2TXL
by replacing the DFC-4 with a DFC4-EXL.

When we install the card in our 6500, we get the following warning:

May  3 05:49:10.566 UTC: %SMC-DFC4-2-BAD_ID_HW: Failed Identification Test in 4/0/1 [5/0]

       The module in 4/0/1 in this router may not be a genuine
       Cisco product.  Cisco warranties and support programs only
       apply to genuine Cisco products.  If Cisco determines that
       your insertion of non-Cisco memory, WIC cards, AIM cards,
       Network Modules, SPA cards, GBICs or other modules into a
       Cisco product is the cause of a support issue, Cisco may
       deny support under your warranty or under a Cisco support
       program such as SmartNet.

The module also shows as Status "Warning" in "show modules".

The Vendor is saying that this is just cosmetic and because the DFC4-EXL isn't
what was shipped with the original card, but I'm not happy, so pushing for them
to supply a card which doesn't have this warning.

Has anyone done this before? Anyone seen this before?

Simon