[c-nsp] ASR9k Bundle QoS in 6.0.1

Robert Williams Robert at CustodianDC.com
Thu May 12 07:16:59 EDT 2016

Hi,

We have several cases where multi-linecard/multi-10G-port bundles with complex QoS policies do not perform in an ideal manner, due to the fact that they multiply up by (rate*bundle-member-port-NP-count) and thus bundles do not enforce their rates in a consistent/aggregate manner, as they are applied individually per member port.

This is understood and we have, as best as possible, engineered around the behaviour.

However - This text below, which is in the updated 6.0.1 release notes, sounds remarkably like the QoS policy can now be applied for a bundle in an 'aggregate' nature:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r6-0/general/release/notes/reln-601a9k.html#concept_D31CCC2886D343A499A6D458B9980E97

Aggregated Bundle QoS
Aggregated Bundle QoS feature allows the shape, bandwidth, police rates and, burst values to be distributed between the active members of a bundle, where a QoS policy-map is applied.
For information on Aggregated Bundle QoS, see the chapter Configuring Modular QoS on Link Bundles in the Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Router Modular Quality of Service Configuration Guide.

However, if you look up that section in the configuration guide for 6.0.1 it is unchanged since 3.9.0 and has no mention of any new "aggregated bundle QoS" features that I can see.

So, am I over-interpreting a bit of text in the release notes, or is a new feature really present in the 6.0.1 code but missing from the configuration guide? Any ideas or input?

Thanks in advance!

Robert Williams
Custodian Data Centre
Email: Robert at CustodianDC.com