[c-nsp] ASR9k Bundle QoS in 6.0.1

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu May 12 09:35:37 EDT 2016

On 12/May/16 15:19, Brian Turnbow wrote:

> There is a similar yet different feature in  BNG, shared policy instances,
> that permits sharing of a policy between subinterfaces where
>
> All sub-interfaces that use a common shared policy instance and are
> configured on a Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LAG) bundle must be
> load-balanced to the same member link.
>
> It was left up to you to do so,  maybe they found a way balance  traffic
> towards only one of the interfaces when the policy is present.
> Should be easier than sharing queues etc and could make things lots of fun
> for the poor folks that apply a shaper and subsequently saturate a link...

The way Juniper do it is to equally distribute the policer across all
members links in the LAG.

Remember that load sharing comes before policing. So if your load
sharing is unbalanced, you will drop traffic before the actual policer
limit has been hit. I've found that the only way to fix this is to
perform per-packet load balancing, as per-flow load balancing may not
always be equally distributed across member links of the LAG.

The Aggregate QoS feature has just come to IOS XE, and I've started
using it on the ASR1000. It works well, and makes application of QoS on
LAG ports much easier now. I think the implementation is done the same
way as Juniper, but I still need to check. Is on my to-do list with the BU.

Mark.