[c-nsp] IOS-XR 5.3.3 add Yang Models

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu May 12 10:02:01 EDT 2016

On 12/05/16 12:49, chip wrote:
> I don't really get the benefit of using XML wrapped cli commands and output
> via XML.  One must still ssh to the device and the output is the same as
> the CLI with just an <output></output> tag wrapped around the results of

Depends on the vendor. It's obviously not ideal, but at least in theory
it can be a marginal improvement over using expect-over-CLI, if for no
other reason than you don't have to much around with parsing the reply
e.g. detecting prompt-as-end-of-data, pager, setting term len 0, etc.

If you're *really* lucky, the CLI-over-XML API will actually distinguish
between a successful command and a failed command.

You do still have to screen-scrape the actual command output, which
obviously sucks.

On the downside I've seen platforms that don't XML-escape the CLI
output, so a CLI command like:

# sh int desc
Vlan10        up      up     NOC & others

...ends up as on-the-wire XML:

<output>
Vlan10 up up NOC & others
</output>

i.e. the & doesn't get turned to & and similarly with <>.

This level of fail is, obviously, worse than useless.