[c-nsp] Hierarchical FIB on Cisco 7600

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Sat May 14 02:57:42 EDT 2016

> James Bensley
> Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 1:45 PM
> To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
> Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Hierarchical FIB on Cisco 7600
>
> On 23 April 2016 at 20:38, Adam Vitkovsky <Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk>
> wrote:
> >> Reviving this old thread, is anyone running a hierarchical FIB on a
> >> 7600, how is it working for you? Has it halved your PPS rate for
> >> VPNv4/VPNv6 traffic due to recirculation?
> >>
> > Sorry can't comment on this
>
> I've had some off lists responses and spoken with TAC. For the sake of the
> list archives, H-FIB on a 7600 (Cisco all it "PIC Core") will indeed half the PPS
> rate for VPNv4 traffic, it's basically a no-go on 7600s, they aren't up to it. In
> addition to that, in this day and age people are unlikely to have enough free
> RAM if they are carrying the full BGP table to enable this feature.

Thank you very much for posting this back to the list,
Wasn't aware the hierarchical lookup is most likely done via recirculation on 7600 (what a nasty trick) -does it affect only L3VPN lookups or lookups in global routing table as well please?
I assume it does affect PIC Edge as well as Core for L3VPN prefixes.

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.