[c-nsp] ASR9001 Vs ASR1006

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue May 17 11:57:41 EDT 2016

Hi,

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 06:42:03PM +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:
> > I don't see a reason why we could not upgrade the existing Intel
> > based XR gear (typhoon/tomahawk) from 32bit QNX to 64bit
> > Linux, other than increased memory usage.
>
> Typhoon is 32b Freescale CPU. (Trident was already dropped on 6.0.1).

Is the line card running the same OS binaries as the RSP?  (I do not
understand the architecture well enough, and haven't seen any docs that
go into such details).

Otherwise, shipping 32bit "workers" to the line cards while having
XR with reasonable software upgrade functionality on the RSP (64bit,
if that's what is needed) doesn't seem impossible to me...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de