[c-nsp] ASR9001 Vs ASR1006

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Tue May 17 12:49:12 EDT 2016

> Typhoon is 32b Freescale CPU.

I was convinced Typhoon is all Intel x86_64 based (because the "PX" in the
image filename implies x86). It isn't, only the RSP440/880 itself is x86
[1] and in fact typhoon linecards are PPC based as well.

Very nice, I just bought a couple of those 9001 boxes and I feel like
I lost my money to a thimblerigger.

> Otherwise, shipping 32bit "workers" to the line cards while having
> XR with reasonable software upgrade functionality on the RSP (64bit,
> if that's what is needed) doesn't seem impossible to me...

I assume they do want to bring 64bit based linux to the RSP440, which
would require that they talk to the 32bit PPC linecards (typhoon), so
yes, I think that is probably going to happen.

But on the 9001, I'm not so sure they will move away from QNX anymore.

Great!

Lukas

[1] https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/91676/asr9000xr-what-difference-between-p-and-px-files