[c-nsp] ASR9k Bundle QoS in 6.0.1

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Wed May 18 09:18:32 EDT 2016

> Saku Ytti
> Sent: Friday, May 13, 2016 11:48 AM
>
> On 13 May 2016 at 03:13, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> > I'd have thought that the Trio will look deeper into the Ethernet
> > frames and extract IP- and TCP/UDP-level entropy to use as a hashing
> > mechanism to spray bits across the member links of the LAG, but no
> > joy. We tried several combinations of the hash keys (including the
> > "gtp-tunnel-endpoint-identifier", just for giggles), all under "adaptive"
> > mode, and nothing worked.
>
> Trio by default does MPLS payload and Ethernet payload based hashing,
> even IP in QinQ in ETH in MPLS by default would be balanced by IP, so really
> curious why it didn't work.

My understanding is that both vendors first determine if its L3 or L2 or MPLS packet (with heap load of labels that they can't see past)  and then balance based on the result
That means they will never combine MPLS label value and IP addresses and ports to produce a hash.
It's always either or.

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.