[c-nsp] ASR9k Bundle QoS in 6.0.1

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Wed May 18 09:23:11 EDT 2016

> Saku Ytti
> Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:30 PM
>
> On 12 May 2016 at 16:35, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:
> > Remember that load sharing comes before policing. So if your load
> > sharing is unbalanced, you will drop traffic before the actual policer
> > limit has been hit. I've found that the only way to fix this is to
> > perform per-packet load balancing, as per-flow load balancing may not
> > always be equally distributed across member links of the LAG.
>
> Juniper today also has adaptive load-balancing, which essentially adds one
> layer of abstraction between hash-result and egress port. This way, on this
> interim-table, they can change how many hash-results go to interface A how
> many to B.
> Compliment this with control-plane monitoring of traffic rates in A and B, and
> if some elephant flow is staying in B, adaptive load-balancing can reduce how
> many hash-results hit B, diverting larger share of traffic to A.

I would love to see how this adaptive thing actually works as my understanding is that the mechanism is flow oblivious. So the only thing it can do is to blindly try to shuffle the flows around (not knowing which one is the elephant flow as it's not recording per flow rates) in search of better bundle members load distribution and with ever-changing flows that's a hard ask.

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.