[c-nsp] Cisco and microbursts

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Thu May 19 08:15:27 EDT 2016

Yes I somehow got locked only one sentence from your original post:
> ME3600X is what 65Mpps box, so that's pretty much only thing we need
>to know from ASIC performance POV. Having higher clock ASIC doing same
>65Mpps is completely irrelevant.
And started to think about lookup processing starvation and how it could be alleviated by faster clocking and disregarded the 10GE to 1GE thing completely, my bad.

You folks are right, the only option to cope with drops due to microbursts are deeper delay bandwidth buffers.
But one has to strike the balance right as having these too deep can introduce too much delay into the network.
At some point you want the packets to get dropped so TCP can do its thing and adjust.

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.