[c-nsp] ASR920 - Any "outstanding" TAC cases people are working through?

James Jun james at towardex.com
Thu May 26 00:23:24 EDT 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 09:54:11AM +0000, CiscoNSP List wrote:

> Just reading through all the recent threads, and as we are about to deploy a number of these boxes in production, wanted to be 100% on any potential issues we may face (couple of recent posts, mention ASR920, ISIS stopping working(And routing unexpectedly), and reboot "resolves" the issue(temporarily)...this was also an issue on the ME3600's (As reported by Mark Tinka), and a work-around provided, but no actual fix by Cisco (Even though the bug has been present for some years?)....not too sure if this is the case on the ASR920?  Nor if it is ISIS specific?

I believe there is an mpls label-range bug that Mark noted (CSCuy29638) which is outstanding, but that can be worked around by staying out of high label range.

The most serious bug for everyone was CSCux98051 (ASR920 stops forwarding bug), but it is fixed on 3.16.02aS -- it's been stable for me so far.  I have two ASR920-24SZ-IM boxes upgraded to 3.16.02aS that're doing roughly 3 Gbps of EoMPLS (l2circuit over ldp over TE tunnels) each and they've been stable so far.

> I am aware of the following, and have applied the relevant "recommended" IOS update:
>
> bug ID CSCux91894<https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCux91894>, which causes a memory leak with the default configuration.

Hahah, yup.  I got about a dozen in the field that look like this: http://twdx.co/jZoM8v
These 920s don't do any memory-hungry stuff (like BGP full table w/ selective download, etc) -- they have small IGP routes and all they're doing is EoMPLS.

Thankfully, this bug is also fixed on 03.16.02aS.  920s upgraded to this release appear to be fine so far.

> Are there any others people are currently working through on these boxes?
>
> Just a little hesitant to deploy them atm....when we originally deployed the ME3600's, we got hit with a number of rather nasty issues, so am a little gun shy given the ASR920 is the "replacement" for the ME3600, and is also a relatively new box..

Knock on the wood.  So far, I'm finding 03.16.02aS (15.5-3.S2a) as the most stable build for production use.  It's been a bit of an excitement, especially on ASR 902 and 903 boxes (I must admit, we started replacing them with ASR9006 + MOD80 spam :p)  Some funny bug I ran into with that platform was CSCuq32410 (router instantly crashes upon applying L2ACL on an EFP); another funny one was CSCuw21323 (SFP+ not switching on, IMA insert/remove dance required to achieve limited success).  These are fixed now though.

James