[c-nsp] BFD on ME3600/ME3800/7600s

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Fri May 27 14:26:34 EDT 2016

> On 27 May 2016 at 18:07, Adam Vitkovsky <Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk> wrote:
>> Also I would have thought that in echo mode since each side is responsible for checking its own packets independently of the remote end then each side can also run its own timers -though I'm not sure if also in echo mode there's timers negotiation that makes sure one doesn't shoot himself in the foot.

Yeah in both echo mode and no echo mode, initially control packets are
sent to negotiate timers. Whilst technically in echo mode it would be
possible to have both nodes using different interval timers (for the
fast echo packets), as long as the slow control packet timers match
edso the BFD session wouldn't drop, everything should work, however in
the RFC it does state that the timers shall be aligned (I can't
remember exactly how it works, but if one has higher or lower timers
the other adjusts to match so this should never happen).

Cheers,
James.