[c-nsp] MPLS Suggestion on 7604 Router

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 13 13:51:52 EST 2016

Hello,

> We are going to deploy 7604 router in our network (replacing 7200 G2).

I would strongly suggest against a 7600 deployment. Its EOL/EOS and its
extremely expensive if you buy from Cisco.

The ASR9k series is what you should be looking at. With the small ASR9001
you can already get 4x10GE + 40x1GE or 8x10GE with 20x1GE.

I will assume that you have to re-use in-house 7600 gear or get it *very* cheap.

> we have the following configuration
>
> 1. RSP720-3CXL-10GE
> 2. 76-ES+XC-20G3CXL
>
> Now my question is on which port would be better for MPLS Core interface
> and which would be subscriber facing interface?

First of all, do you even have the option? This ES+ line card only has a single 10G port.

You customer facing ports should definitely be on the ES+ card.
You core facing ports may be on the RSP; if it supports the features you need.

> We would be implementing VRFs, EoMPLS, VPLS and QoS.

Depends on what *exact* features you need. Read through this [1]:
Cisco 7600 Series Ethernet Services Plus (ES+) and Ethernet Services Plus T (ES+T) Line Card Configuration Guide

QoS on the RSP is difficult, but not impossible. YMMV.

> The mention command is not supported in subinterface of ES+ line card. but supported in
> xconnect X.X.X.X Y encapsulation mpls

You need to use EFP on the ES+ line card. Read [2].

> From my understanding, for full feature VPLS we need ES+ line card.
> (correct me if i am wrong).

To use *all* features, you need ES+ on both sides. Basic EoMPLS, VPLS and MPLS
L3VPN will probably work if the RSP is core facing.

Read through this document, and carefully test your configurations.

If at all possible, only use ES+ ports even core facing.

Regards,

Lukas

[1] http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/7600/install_config/ES40_config_guide/es40_sw_config/es40_chap6.html
[2] http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/7600/install_config/ES40_config_guide/es40_sw_config/es40_chap6.html#65807