[c-nsp] ASR920 vs NCS5000

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Nov 28 13:21:19 EST 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 05:54:25PM +0000, Lukas Tribus wrote:
> > Now with the NCS5000 I'am wondering now how it competes with the ASR920. It
> > has 1/10G and four 100G ports, thats some difference, but beyond that,
> > mainly feature-wise (IOX vs XE) what can I expect from both?
>
> The NCS500x is a dumb, dumb switch.
>
> Its a cheap and fast-tracked Trident II+ implementation in IOS-XR.

Which sounds extremely tempting, TBH :-) - sane OS, fast hardware.

> If you are looking for a dumb P box (LSR) in your MPLS core, with no specific QoS
> or queuing requirements, but only straightforward label swapping, then I guess
> the box could do the job.

Have you evaluated it as a "limited table" IPv4/IPv6 router (like, a few
1000 internal routes, no full BGP stuff)?  I find it tempting...

(QoS is not so much an issue where I'm looking at it - it would be
used instead of a QFX5100, which is, I think, based on the same chipset)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de