[c-nsp] Using MPLS PEs as gateways for access layer

Ryan L ryan.nsplist at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 08:06:57 EST 2016

Thanks again guys... your input is much appreciated.

To answer re: size, the deployment is not too big. For the near-term,
looking at global + 1 VRF between 2 locations, holding about ~10-15
prefixes per site... so somewhere around the 30 mark with everything/global
transport included.

I'd expect this to go to 2-3 VRFs within a year's time, and probably expand
to 3 sites.

Initially, each of the 2 sites will have 2x 6500s, all 4 iBGP peered up...
L3 gateways for end hosts on them and ToR access aggregation. Looking at
replacing the 6500s next year to a slightly more robust solution (not sure
what yet), but while 1 VRF is fairly manageable via vrf-lite stitch, I
wanted to get ahead of any growth (because there will be) and design this
to scale up easily. L3VPN seems like the right choice even though it's not
the typical "MPLS Design" with my PEs doing FHRP for everything inside the
VPN.