[c-nsp] Rec for full-table multi-peer bgp router?

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Wed Nov 30 15:19:39 EST 2016

Thanks Gert & Peter.  I’m going to look into the 9001.  We have a bunch of Arista in the core doing ospf/ospfv3, the rep there suggested their 7280SR, which is 48 SFP+, 6 QSFP, and they claim it’s stable as a BGP router with limitations of 1.2M ipv4 / 768k ipv6 routes, simultaneously, no picking and choosing like Brocade.  Obviously, it’s good price point, but I’m not sure I’m ready to trust them in an edge router role as I don’t know anyone using them for BGP.  I’m also not sure how long 1.2M ipv4 routes will be good for given we’re already over the half way point to that and the table has been growing regularly after run out.   List is $66k for reference.

David

On 11/30/16, 2:42 PM, "cisco-nsp on behalf of Gert Doering" <cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net on behalf of gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:

    Hi,

    On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 08:32:02PM +0100, Peter Rathlev wrote:
    > Four SFP+ interfaces, as ASR9001 has built-in, would be just what we
    > need. It seems to cost around $80k list price. Is that what we should
    > expect to pay for a 10G capable edge router? I'd love to know if there
    > are cheaper alternatives, though I'm perfectly willing to accept if
    > there are not.

    This isn't exactly Cisco's sweet spot - "a few 10GE interfaces and
    full BGP" - you need "real router brains" but also "fast-ish and
    large-table forwarding engine".  So, Cisco-wise, this is the thing,
    and the price hurts indeed if compared to something with "the fast"
    but "without the brains" (like a QFX5100 with 48x 10GE for much less
    moneyz).

    But the moment you see it flap a few full BGP sessions in 30 seconds
    without breaking a sweat, you see that the money was well-spent :-)

    gert
                                                               //www.muc.de/~gert/
    fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de