[c-nsp] BFD on customer-facing interfaces - experiences

Jiri Prochazka jiri.prochazka at superhosting.cz
Wed Oct 5 18:03:52 EDT 2016

Hi Eric,

we are using BFD on customer facing eBGP sessions when there is explicit
request from the customer side - and there was none problem with that,
for the last 7 years. I think that approximately 15% of our BGP
customers ever showed interest in BFD.

As soon as the customer understands the possible outcomes and still
wants to implement it, there is no reason to disallow this feature.
Reliable? Yes, definitely.

On the other hand, I would strictly avoid using BFD as default (forcing
customers to configure this) - the only result would be angry customer
requesting a RFO.

Jiri