[c-nsp] Adventures while upgrading a dual sup-8 WS-C4510R+E

Sebastian Beutel sebastian.beutel at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Oct 11 11:39:30 EDT 2016

Dear List,

    i don't want to hold back the experience i made today while trying to
upgrade a 4510 shelf. Clearly the jump from 03.03.02 to 03.06.05 was too
far. What i didn't expected was this message that showed up on the console
of the second sup when the new ios booted there:

----<snip>---------------------------------------------------------------

#    #    ##    #####   #    #    #    #    #   ####
#    #   #  #   #    #  ##   #    #    ##   #  #    #
#    #  #    #  #    #  # #  #    #    # #  #  #
# ## #  ######  #####   #  # #    #    #  # #  #  ###
##  ##  #    #  #   #   #   ##    #    #   ##  #    #
#    #  #    #  #    #  #    #    #    #    #   ####

The following environment variable(s) are set.  Setting these
environment variables may cause the system to behave unpredictably.
        "DontShipDisableThermalShutdown"
Use 'clear platform environment variable unsupported' to clear these
variables.

----<snap>---------------------------------------------------------------

Never heard of such a thing. And I definitely don't want my chassis to melt
should our air condition refuse to work some day. So when i finaly finished
the update i tried the suggested command and guess what:

dno19-y1-s1#clear platform environment variable unsupported
No unsupported environment variables found

Even though i like beautifull ascii art and also variable names that start
with "DontShip" i feel slightly scared having such a thing running on our
production Switches. Has anyone ever seen something like that and knows how
that is to be appraised?

Best,
   Sebastian.