[c-nsp] Loop Prevention in VPLS

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 17 10:22:05 EDT 2016

> I have issues in VPLS network where we get loop sometimes because of mac
> flood from customer side and sometimes because of media loop in last mile.
> Being a service provider what are the best practices which I could
> implement on my PE Router or PE switch or in transmission equipment to
> avoid my complete VPLS domain getting down?

You probably don't want to hear this, but:

Don't use VPLS, but L3VPN's. Like Ivan says: "VPLS is not aspirin" [1].

You can implement kludges and workarounds, but that doesn't change the fact that widespread LAN to WAN bridging is a very bad idea.

Lukas

[1] http://blog.ipspace.net/2009/05/vpls-is-not-aspirin.html