[c-nsp] Router memory problem

Joseph Mays mays at win.net
Wed Oct 26 14:27:35 EDT 2016

I’m dealing with a serious problem on a router I can only connect to remotely. Show run on the router returns nothing.

core-gw1.noc#show run
core-gw1.noc#

The running config is definitely there, though and the router is operational. And interestingly the system that copies the router’s config every night seems to have no problem pulling it down via tftp. And I can add and remove config commands and have them become active, even though I can’t see the config when it’s running.

I tried copying the running config to the startup config and got an error.

core-gw1.noc#dir nvram:
Directory of nvram:/

  488  -rw-       19717                    <no date>  startup-config
  489  ----        1157                    <no date>  private-config
  490  -rw-       19717                    <no date>  underlying-config
    1  ----          46                    <no date>  persistent-data
    2  -rw-           0                    <no date>  ifIndex-table
    3  -rw-           4                    <no date>  rf_cold_starts

522232 bytes total (498234 bytes free)
core-gw1.noc#write mem
startup-config file open failed (Not enough space)

I found that any command I try with regards to the startup config gets the same result. I concluded that the nvram: must be corrupt. So I did an “erase” to reformat and clear it, and that went fine. so then I tried to write the startup-config again and had the same problem.

core-gw1.noc#erase nvram:
Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [confirm]
[OK]
Erase of nvram: complete
core-gw1.noc#dir nvram:
Directory of nvram:/

  508  -rw-           0                    <no date>  startup-config
  509  ----           0                    <no date>  private-config
  510  -rw-           0                    <no date>  underlying-config
    1  ----          46                    <no date>  persistent-data
    2  -rw-           0                    <no date>  ifIndex-table
    3  -rw-           4                    <no date>  rf_cold_starts

522232 bytes total (519108 bytes free)
core-gw1.noc#copy run start
Destination filename [startup-config]?
startup-config file open failed (Not enough space)

So now I am in a position where I don’t dare reboot the router because it has no startup config. I did try tftping the backup config to nvram:, and it worked find as long as I gave it another name.

core-gw1.noc#copy tftp nvram:
Address or name of remote host [admin2.win.net]?
Source filename [core-gw1.noc-confg.noALW]? noc-config
Destination filename [noc-config]?
Accessing tftp://admin2.win.net/noc-config...
[OK - 34368 bytes]

34368 bytes copied in 0.756 secs (45460 bytes/sec)
core-gw1.noc#dir nvram:
Directory of nvram:/

  508  -rw-           0                    <no date>  startup-config
  509  ----           0                    <no date>  private-config
  510  -rw-           0                    <no date>  underlying-config
    1  ----          46                    <no date>  persistent-data
    2  -rw-           0                    <no date>  ifIndex-table
    3  -rw-           4                    <no date>  rf_cold_starts
    4  -rw-       34368                    <no date>  noc-config

But when I tried to rename noc-config to startup-config, it gave the same space error. As does deleting startup-config, or any attempt to do anything to the startup-config file.

Here is the show ver info on the router.

IOS (tm) 7200 Software (C7200-IK9SU2-M), Version 12.3(23), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc5)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Compiled Tue 24-Jul-07 21:42 by stshen
Image text-base: 0x60008AF4, data-base: 0x61F53280

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(20030826:190624) [BLD-npeg1_rommon_r11 102], DEVELOPMENT SOFTWARE
BOOTLDR: 7200 Software (C7200-KBOOT-M), Version 12.2(15)B, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

core-gw1.noc uptime is 11 hours, 10 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload at 03:00:12 EDT Wed Oct 26 2016
System restarted at 03:02:54 EDT Wed Oct 26 2016
System image file is "disk2:c7200-ik9su2-mz.123-23.bin"
Last reload reason: Reload command

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export at cisco.com.

cisco 7206VXR (NPE-G1) processor (revision A) with 491520K/32768K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID 20399590
SB-1 CPU at 700MHz, Implementation 1, Rev 0.2, 512KB L2 Cache
6 slot VXR midplane, Version 2.0

Last reset from power-on
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

PCI bus mb1 (Slots 1, 3 and 5) has a capacity of 600 bandwidth points.
Current configuration on bus mb1 has a total of 600 bandwidth points.
This configuration is within the PCI bus capacity and is supported.

PCI bus mb2 (Slots 2, 4 and 6) has a capacity of 600 bandwidth points.
Current configuration on bus mb2 has a total of 780 bandwidth points.
The set of PA-2FE, PA-POS-2OC3, and I/O-2FE qualify for "half
bandwidth points" consideration, when full bandwidth point counting
results in oversubscription, under the condition that only one of the
two ports is used. With this adjustment, current configuration on bus
mb2 has a total of 580 bandwidth points.
This configuration is within the PCI bus capacity and is supported
under the above condition.

Please refer to the following document "Cisco 7200 Series Port Adaptor
Hardware Configuration Guidelines" on Cisco.com <http://www.cisco.com>
for c7200 bandwidth points oversubscription and usage guidelines.

5 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
4 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
2 Serial network interface(s)

62976K bytes of ATA PCMCIA card at slot 2 (Sector size 512 bytes).
16384K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 256K).
Configuration register is 0x2102