[c-nsp] Router memory problem

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Fri Oct 28 05:25:29 EDT 2016

Justin Krejci wrote:
> We use prefix-lists (not ACL) in our route-maps, BGP filtering, etc
> but I am curious what is wrong with distribute-lists specifically. Is
> it just that they are old and less efficient CPU-wise or something?
> Are there known bugs in certain use cases?

distribute lists are evaluated linearly, whereas prefix-lists are
evaluated using lookup structures (hash or trie), so evaluation of
prefix lists is a lot more efficient.  Distribute lists are also highly
prone to typos, and I've often seen people mistakenly adding entries
using normal bitmask format instead of using hardware bitmask format, oops.

Nick