[c-nsp] Cisco distribute-list configs

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Oct 28 17:59:51 EDT 2016

On 28/Oct/16 19:23, Justin Krejci wrote:

> You're position sounds like "I can't think of any reason to use
> distribute-lists, therefore everybody should avoid them as there are
> newer methods" which doesn't answer the question, is there X, Y, and Z
> data that explains why distribute-lists should not be used?
>
> Lacking evidence of value is not the same thing as evidence of lacking
> value.
>
> Implementing a protocol-wide change with a single entry sounds like a
> decent reason to use a distribute-list, possibly on an ad-hoc basis.
> This would be administratively much easier (ie better) than adjusting
> a bunch of prefix-lists and/or route-maps.

There are some arguments worth having, and there are those that aren't.

If you want to talk about why mutual redistribution between routing
protocols is good, I'll likely say don't do it, and move on. If you want
to talk about why potentially using BGPv3 could be useful for
compatibility with older routers, I'll likely say don't do it, and move
on. If you want to talk about why using RIP has advantages over OSPF and
IS-IS, I'll likely say don't do it, and move on.

Distribute lists, IMHO, fall in that category. I could get into a lot of
technical detail as to why you shouldn't use them, but that has the
potential the dilute the value I see in c-nsp. A number of folk on this
list have provided good reasons why you should avoid distribute lists,
myself included. I'd rather not repeat myself if I can help it.

That said, if any of the readers want to find a reason to shoot
themselves in the foot, well, there is nothing I - nor anyone else - can
do about that.

Mark.