[c-nsp] Cisco 7301 limitation ?

Erik Sundberg ESundberg at nitelusa.com
Fri Apr 21 11:39:11 EDT 2017

I have had a couple of these where CEF wasn't turned on propery on the interface and had terrible throughput and high CPU.

Check to make sure CEF is enabled on the interface.

#show cef interface g0/0
GigabitEthernet0/0 is up (if_number 2)
  Corresponding hwidb fast_if_number 2
  Corresponding hwidb firstsw->if_number 2
  Internet Protocol processing disabled
  Hardware idb is GigabitEthernet0/0
  Fast switching type 1, interface type 27
  IP CEF switching enabled                              <<<<<<<<<
  IP CEF switching turbo vector
  IP CEF turbo switching turbo vector
  IP prefix lookup IPv4 mtrie 8-8-8-8 optimized
  Input fast flags 0x20080000, Output fast flags 0x8004008
  ifindex 2(2)
  Slot  Slot unit 0 VC -1
  IP MTU 0

Also we are running Version 15.2(4)S7 just fine on our 7301.

You can check to see what is being punted to the cpu via.

#show cef not-cef-switched
% Command accepted but obsolete, see 'show (ip|ipv6) cef switching statistics [feature]'

IPv4 CEF Packets passed on to next switching layer
Slot  No_adj No_encap Unsupp'ted Redirect  Receive  Options   Access     Frag
RP         0       0     1027549      307  6222801        0        0        0
IPv6 CEF Packets passed on to next switching layer
Slot  No_adj No_encap Unsupp'ted Redirect  Receive  Options   Access      MTU
RP         0       0     1794368        0   988337        0        0        0

#show ip cef switching statistics

Path   Reason                          Drop       Punt  Punt2Host
RP LES Packet destined for us             0    3111368          0
RP LES Neighbor resolution req            0         30          0
RP LES Total                              0    3111398          0

RP PAS No route                         121          0         31
RP PAS Packet destined for us             0    3111368        359
RP PAS No adjacency                     867          0          0
RP PAS Incomplete adjacency         2174690          0          0
RP PAS TTL expired                        0          0    1027232
RP PAS Routed to Null0                   26          0        201
RP PAS IP redirects                       0          0        307
RP PAS Unclassified reason              259          0          0
RP PAS Neighbor resolution req       172650          0          0
RP PAS Bad IP packet header leng       1346          0          0
RP PAS Link-layer broadcast/mult      11057          0          0
RP PAS Total                        2361016    3111368    1028130

All    Total                        2361016    6222766    1028130