[c-nsp] NCS4200 - re-badged ASR920 / ASR900 ?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Apr 25 07:24:08 EDT 2017

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 11:06:33AM +0000, CiscoNSP List wrote:
> If feature parity between the 2 are identical....It makes no sense?

Look at the history of the 6500/7600 split...

Starting out with identical hardware, just differently coloured, sold
by different BUs.

Then start differenciating - one BU builds a faster supervisor, and
adds a software check "if we detect that the other BU got the money
for this chassis, refuse to boot".   The other BU starts adding nice
OS features that you really want (but are not supported on the *other*
chassis, then) and down the drain goes the journey.

I ended up having 6500s, because we wanted IOS modularity (which turned
out to be no good, and was discontinued), and was lacking all the newer
control-plane(!) features the 7600 IOS received after the split...

(cisco-nsp archives have lots of material on this)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de