[c-nsp] ASR 1k vs 9k as a non-transit BGP router with full tables?

Tim Densmore tdensmore at tarpit.cybermesa.com
Thu Aug 3 14:22:42 EDT 2017

On 8/3/2017 1:10 AM, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
> The 9001 would probably cost us 3 to 4 times as much per
> box as the 1001-X.

Yeah, this is definitely a piece of the puzzle for some of us.  So,
discussion about the differences between the various RPs aside, what's
the real world experience with the asr100x and the 9001?  It sounds like
BGP convergence is better on the 9001, but has the convergence on the
1000 been a major issue for folks?  Is there a common case where a
router with an RP2 and an  ESP10 or ESP40 is totally inadequate and the
9001 is just crushing it (or vice versa)?  I'm thinking of standard
stuff like a few BGP feeds, IGP, ACLs, QoS and MPLS L2/L3 VPNs.  We've
been pretty happy with the asr1004 as a platform, but we're not doing
anything super cutting edge with it, either.

Thanks,

Tim Densmore