[c-nsp] ASR9k LC fib programming problem

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 17:41:49 EDT 2017

On 7 August 2017 at 14:33, Šturmankin Miroslav
<miroslav.sturmankin at swan.sk> wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> To follow up on the issue, I was able to fix the forwarding problem during a maintenance window by restarting the ipv4_rip process as suggested by James.

> The restart was hitless without service disruption and it took about ~2mins to reprogram FIB with the correct entry (full BGP in VRF mode).

Cool, glad you got it sorted.

My understanding is that since this is just the management process for
the IPv4 RIB it should die/restart/stall without affecting what is
already programmed into the line card(s) because they are of course
using their local FIB copy. Upon start up the process should check
what is in the cef tables in memory and what is in hardware and
update/correct any discrepancies or entries that came into cef whilst
the process was restarting. So it is just a "management" process.

It has always been a hitless operation for us but we've always waited
for a maintenance window to perform the operation just in case.

Cheers,
James.