[c-nsp] Does NCS behave like Nexus w/regard to vPC+VRRP active/active?

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Sun Dec 17 15:04:52 EST 2017

Definitely feeling that right now.  It also, I’ve learned, has no first hop redundancy option that works on a BVI.  VRRP only works on physical or EFP interfaces (i.e. layer 3-specific sub interfaces), not BVI’s, so there’s no way to handle both layer 2 and provide a redundant default gateway for downstream devices without extra switches in between.  TAC says not even on the roadmap at this point.

It seems Cisco has a dead zone of about $200k list price difference where, on the low side, you are forced to choose between large scale FIB (1.5M+ routes) with horrible layer 2, or good layer 2 features and port density, but insufficient route scale.  Then you make a massive price jump to get to a device that does both.

If NCS did vPC and let you put VRRP on any layer 3 interface, it would be awesome...

On 12/17/17, 2:28 PM, "cisco-nsp on behalf of Tom Hill" <cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net on behalf of tom at ninjabadger.net> wrote:

    On 16/12/17 02:01, David Hubbard wrote:
    > Seems like a glaring omission in this platform to not have an active/active layer 2 option.

    Remember: if they sold you one box that did everything, you'd buy fewer
    boxes.

    --
    Tom